Wednesday 31 March 2010

Driver Danger

Yesterday's fearsome wind almost removed the overhead electricity cable from the pylon over the road to our house. It came to rest on top of our hedge and it was a clear case of "get in touch with the emergency services pronto".

The message from on high was "wait for someone to come and don't let anyone walk or drive under it in case it comes crashing down on top of them".

Perfectly obvious and sensible advice you would think. But not to many of the car drivers entering the village.

Standing outside Crimper Heights, I waved down car after car. Some heeded the advice, others thanked me for mentioning it and then drove under as they were in a "bit of a rush".

A few clearly weren't keen on stopping for a stranger attempting to stop the traffic and tried to drive round me. When one woman screeched to a halt to abuse me because I was in her way, I called the police and asked them to sort it out.

They promptly closed the road. I'm not as popular as I once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment