Wednesday 7 April 2010

Cricket It Most Definitely Was...

Back in 2006, my village cricket team managed to get a charity fixture against Lashings who are made up of ex professional International cricketers.

The difference in class was more than obvious after we took to the field as six after six and occasional four was scored. In many cases, the ball went out of the ground never to be seen again. In fact 28 were lost that day.

I came on to bowl at Phil Simmons (West Indies) and Greg Blewitt (Australia). After having the special moment of getting Phil Simmons play and miss to an outswinger, runs followed with ease.

At one point during one of my overs, Greg Blewitt approached Phil Simmons who was about to face the latest new ball that had been introduced.

"That ball is an orangey colour and I don't like it" he said. "Get rid of it." After I bowled the next ball, I turned to look over my shoulder as a straight drive, soared out of the ground far, far further than any other ball that day.

1-48 from 4 overs. I got off very lightly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry, but I haven't read the above post because it appears to be about Cricket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't fault you for accuracy there Poobah. But the real point of the thread is man's inhumanity to man.

    ReplyDelete