Wednesday 24 February 2010

A True Genius

Of all the guitarists I have had the privilege to see, few can have been so talented and deserving of the label "genius' than Rory Gallagher. Maybe I like him that much more because back in 1970, he took to the stage at the Village of the Damned Blues Club in Gillingham leading his band Taste. It was the first live music I ever saw.

Then and later he played the blues with such passion. According to fan memories on the website of Sinnerboy (a band who keep his name alive), he was also a thoroughly nice bloke.

The last time I saw him was at the Electric Ballroom in Camden Town. Pint in hand, he stood in the audience almost next to me, watching Albert King then George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

He later died of liver failure. Such a waste of a true talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment