Tuesday 23 February 2010

It's Not Cricket

On a cricket tour of Devon some years ago, one of our batsmen survived an appeal for caught behind. The snick could have been heard in neighbouring Cornwall but as I was the Umpire and I have a hearing impediment, I didn't hear it and therefore gave it "Not out".

I know. I shouldn't have been out there in the first place, but village cricket often survives on the rule that if you can stand unaided, you can play (and Umpire).

The bad feeling this decision caused could have been avoided had the batsman decided to walk. But he didn't. Nor could he understand why I told him he was a cheat.

"If the Umpire doesn't raise his finger, I'm not out." Well that just about sums up what is wrong with the game today. Too many people believe that it's OK to win at all costs.

On a happier note, our batsman was later pushed into a red telephone box, rope was tied around the outside and he was left to repent for the entire evening. No food, no drink. He deserved far far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment