Friday 4 June 2010

Memories

It's only party true that you can remember what you did years ago but haven't a clue what you did yesterday.

I have a problem remembering the 1970 Isle of Wight Rock Festival. So I thought a side trip whilst on the island would help me remember the event. Some hope!

Despite the fact that no drugs or alcohol were involved, I have no idea how I got to the festival site, where I slept, what I ate or indeed who I saw (except Hawkwind who played in a tent).

I do remember that Hendrix came on at some ridiculous hour before dawn and I slept through the entire set.

After walking the coastal path, I went to Dimbola Lodge at Freshwater Bay to view the Festival exhibition there. It stirred no memories although I was stunned to read the line up and realise who it was I just can't remember seeing.

As I drove the car ferrywards, I looked to the right at East Afton Down. Here was the festival site. I just knew. I remembered the high ridge towering above so very clearly.

A shame that nothing else sprang to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment